Forums 403 FAQ
This page serves as a guide to users who are getting locked out from accessing https://forums.bunsenlabs.org with a 403 Access Denied HTTP error.
Why am I getting blocked?
We do use a number of IP-based block lists to prevent spammers from signing up and accessing the forums. While we do not block full CIDR blocks anymore, chances are that your IP address has been listed on one of the following block lists:
Why did I get put on (one of) these block lists?
- You might be connecting from a dynamically assigned IP address which was previously used in an abusive manner.
- A full IP block got added to the block list in terms of single IP addresses, and your IP address got caught up in this mess. This is particularly true when whole networks become notorious spam sources, such as ISPs from Pakistan or India.
- Your ISP uses carrier-grade NAT and you share one public IPv4 address with many other users, any one of whom could have caused the block list entry to be added. Such a situation might amplify the effects of (2).
- You did actually spam a forum before.
- Any other reason. Contact the block list operators for details.
What can I do to get unblocked?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your IP address, we can explicitly whitelist you.
- If you are behind an IPv4 CNAT but have a routable IPv6 address, try connecting to the forums via IPv6 instead.
- Contact the block list operators to get your IP address removed from the list.
- Contact your ISP and demand that they get the block list entries removed for you (it’s part of their job, especially if they are employing CNAT).
- Wait until the block list entry gets removed, most entries expire at some point.